Thursday, November 6, 2014


Sneaky Jesus

There is a well-known rumor going around here in Charleston that when Bill Murray is in town he likes to sneak up behind people as they are walking around downtown and tap  them on the shoulder. When they turn around to see who it is, Bill puts a big grin on his face, says, “Nobody’s gonna believe you” and runs away. I say it’s a rumor because it has yet to happen to me or anyone I know personally but, as he is part owner of our mighty River Dogs minor league baseball team and does like to be in Charleston when his schedule permits and because the rumor has surfaced from a variety of sources, I tend to believe it.

In my meditations this morning the Spirit dropped in my mind an image of the two disciples walking along the road on the way to Emmaus. It was a Sunday and as they were walking they were discussing the rumors they had heard from the women who went to the tomb and found it empty and reported to the apostles that an angel had told them that Jesus had been resurrected from the grave. As the two were walking, talking and pondering the meaning of it all Jesus drew near and began walking with them. He snuck up on them. After a few minutes of listening to them He asked, “What are you guys talking about?” Cleopas answered, “What planet are you from? Haven’t you heard about what has happened in Jerusalem?” “What things?” Jesus responded, drawing them further in and preparing their hearts for a revelation.

So, they told Him the whole story of Jesus’ death burial and rumored resurrection. “And he said to them, ‘O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?’ And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” (Luke 24:25-27)

As they approached Emmaus Jesus acted as if He would continue walking but they, being drawn to Him and His words of enlightenment, “urged Him strongly” to stay with them. He had been sprinkling salt on their thirsty hearts and, like the woman at the well, were at once confounded and amazed as their understanding began to open and their assumptions about the Scripture were systematically challenged and replaced. Like the old country preacher use to say, “They were like calves looking at a new gate”.

I think sometimes that we forget that the Physician tells us in Acts 1 that during the 40 days between Passover and Pentecost Jesus was often with the disciples, appearing to them and teaching them about the Kingdom (wouldn’t you like to hear those teachings?).

The Jewish Passover is, as you know, a time of celebrating Israel’s deliverance from Egypt, setting them free from bondage and being led into the desert. Jewish Pentecost, or the Feast of Weeks is a time of celebrating the act of God supernaturally giving, with signs and wonders, His Law to Moses on Mt Sinai which was the establishment of a nation. Hmm, I wonder if this is one of the correlations Jesus shared with Cleopas and that other disciple?

Anyway, Jesus reluctantly (?) follows them on to Emmaus continuing to talk with them. They arrive at the inn where they will spend the night and as they sit down to dinner, Jesus takes the bread, blesses it and breaks it and puts a big grin on His face. In a flash they recognize Him – and He disappears.

 In that singular moment He is, at once, confirming His resurrection, the witness of their hearts as they listened to Him explaining the Scriptures while on the road and preparing them for His Pentecost, the establishment of His Kingdom in the hearts of men.

Lord Jesus, I am so dull of hearing and my heart is so hard of understanding. I wander off, pondering the meaning of it all in my own weak intellect not recognizing your presence with me. Lord, I am so dull and rebellious. I have no excuse for my dullness or my rebellion. I only confess it and ask your forgiveness and in your grace to please sneak up on me. Sneak up on all of us. 

6 comments:

  1. Having not read the post at all, the image at top is a lovely reminder that I need to get to get to work. I have a friend who wants me to paint a version of the Road to Emmaus for her, and it's been lurking around the edges of my brain for a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service. We will get a view of the finished product, yes?

      Delete
  2. And to the post, and I can only add, "Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think God likes to surprise us. We need the unexpected, the out-of-left-field thing that jolts us into a different perspective.

    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's surprises are the best. And amen to your prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete